Sunday, March 29, 2009

Prince three nights in a row on Leno



Good gracious this guy is a performer. I saw him 27 years ago open for the Rolling Stones at the enormous LA Coliseum. He was the first act on a bill that also included George Thorogood & the Destroyers and the J. Geils Band. Prince came out (this was two years before Purple Rain) and utterly KILLED, but he was booed and pelted off the stage by the Stones' macho fans after only ten minutes. It was the best ten minutes of the entire day; the Stones (on their first "farewell" tour) totally sucked.

Unlike U2's similar recent stunt, Prince's three nights on Leno was TV worth watching (on YouTube, of course). Catch Dreamer here and Feel Good, Feel Better, Feel Wonderful here. And if you'd rather see Prince wail on a song you KNOW, check out his blistering performance on While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The band includes Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne of ELO and Dhani Harrison (George's son), but Prince completely murders all on the solo.

1 comment:

Matt said...

How do I love the internet... let me count the ways:
Well, for one, it lets me see stuff like this, which I totally spaced on watching when it was on (just can't stand Leno anymore), but thanks to you pointing out, I can now watch at my leisure. And for second? How about run-on sentences! I know that really has nothing to do with the internet, but I needed at least one more for the list.

I'd heard about Prince opening for the Stones. Tough gig. I saw the Purple Rain tour here in Minneapolis. Great gig. And I've been to a couple of his 'surprise' shows around town. GREAT GIG.

Anyhum, thanks again for pointing this out.