Saturday, January 19, 2008

LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum



While I'm posting some great dance tracks I can't leave this one out, my favorite from last year's extremely strong Sound of Silver. The video version from Letterman is a bit faster and Paul's band helps out with handclaps and horns on the chorus. James throws in a nod to guitarist Al Doyle (also from Hot Chip) when he changes the lyric slightly: "And for those of you who still think we're from England / we're not...no--with the exception of Al."

The more I think about it the more the distinction between rock and electronica is rather silly. Radiohead's Kid A (2000) was the wake-up call: the world's best rock band gave us an album all but devoid of guitars and dared us not to call it rock (as with all its dares, Radiohead won).

So why is LCDS still considered a "dance" band and not just a rock band? Beats me...

MP3 LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum
(from 2007's Sound of Silver)

No comments: